What is STEAM education?
STEAM education is an exciting, hands-on, experiential style of learning that combines the disciplines of Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Mathematics. It engages students in rich, authentic, real-world investigations that build the diverse skills that will be most valued in the future. From flexible and creative problem-solving to critical thinking and reflection, students have the opportunity to grow as they ask questions, take intellectual risks and collaborate with their peers.
Welcome to learning in the 21st century!
STEAM vs STEM
Build-A-Mind are mindful that every school is different, with its own routines, structures and expectations. Hence, with thorough communication prior to the event, our workshops can be very flexible and are able to be adapted to suit the individual needs of the school.
However, a standard workshop takes the following format:
- Inspiring opening presentation on the power of STEAM learning
- Immersive discussion/brainstorm around a particular topic
- Introduction of ‘the challenge’ for the day
- Students break off to work independently or in small groups to solve the challenge with guidance from the facilitator
- Students experiment with a range of technology and materials and use research, trial and error, and feedback to work towards a solution
- At the end of the day, students present their projects to the larger group, explaining their process, justifying decisions they made, highlighting difficulties they faced and celebrating breakthroughs they had
- Certificates awarded to all participants as well as special awards given for commendable actions/ideas
Sound too good to be true? Read what other schools have to say about Build-A-Mind
STEAM vs STEM
The shift from STEM to STEAM has taken root over the past several years with many educators recognising the limitations of a purely STEM-based approach. While future economic prosperity may hinge on the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, STEM education sorely neglects the creativity, innovation and design that are required to bring any vision to life.
And thus, STEAM was born.
A STEAM approach allows educators to stimulate and nurture the essential creative brain while still preparing students for an ever-changing and highly competitive job market. By teaching STEM disciplines in and through the arts, students are provided with the whole pallet of learning.
NOTE: If your school would like to make adjustments to a package, simply contact Build-A-Mind to discuss your needs.
** A travel fee will apply to areas where over 45 minutes of travel is required from our head office in Faulconbridge.
Besides getting to work with friendly, passionate and professional facilitators, Build-A-Mind make the whole process easy!
When you invite Build-A-Mind to your school,
|Your students will:||You will:|
Thankyou for such an awesome experience. Once I start looking into Vac care over the summer I will contact you as the kids love the experiences you offer.